Tuesday, December 14, 2010

On the Second Day of Christmas my true love gave to me 2 kids in an airport

Everyone who hates traveling during the holidays raise your hand! Even though I can’t see you I can see all of you putting your hands up. Some of you might be waving them in the air like you’re swatting at a fly. I will tell you that I feel your pain! I feel your delays, your layovers, your missing luggage, your packed flights, your long security lines, and your headaches.  I especially feel worse of all for those who travel with small children because I really believe that this is the worst! But if you were me two years ago you would actually find that it was a blessing in disguise.

Two years ago I had the most amazing experience with my children. My husband was going to school full time and working full time. I stayed home with our kids and was planning a trip in the fall to West Virginia to see my sister in law. It was close to the holidays and I was extremely nervous about taking a 9 month old and a 2 year old on a long plane trip.

The morning we were to leave I asked my husband to please pray that someone would help me with the kids. I was panicked that I would be “that” person whose kids screamed the entire trip and would kick other passenger’s seats the whole flight. We were to fly four hours the first leg and then change planes only to fly another 2 hours the last leg. How was I going to get two car seats, a stroller, and my purse and diaper bag on to the flight myself? I tried to prepare myself the best I could with being meticulous in my packing, organizing, and handling of our stuff.

We got through security smoothly and I was delighted that there was a small play area for my kids to play while we waited till the very last moment we would have to be to our terminal. Luckily I was able to board the plane early and the stewardess helped me with everything to our seats. Surprisingly my kids did amazing on the plane. They whined a little, slept a lot, and were entertained by a portable DVD player.

When we landed I stayed back and waited until almost everyone had exited the plane. Although I was sitting toward the front I knew I would need the extra time to get off. I saw a young man off to the side who had also waited until most everyone had left. He came up to me and asked if he could help me get all of my things off the plane. I was overcome with gratitude and readily accepted his offer. Once off the plane he said he would be glad to carry my car seats and things to the next terminal while I pushed my stroller with the kids in it.

As we walked we talked about ourselves. He was a BYU student who was flying out to an interview for medical school. His wife had just had a baby the month before and he said that if it were his wife in my situation he would have wanted someone to help her around the airport. We got to the terminal and I thanked him again for being so kind. A lady in her early 40’s who was sitting on a seat overheard me and turned to the young man and said “Don’t worry we’ll take care of her over here. She’ll get on the plane. I know how it is with young children.” I looked over to her and grinned because I really did believe that I would be helped.

The next flight was very rocky. There was no extra seat for Hayden to sit in so he sat on my lap while the plane swayed up and down. This was a much smaller plane with only 2 seats on either side but full to the brim with passengers. Mostly businessmen who were heading home after a very long day. It was almost 10pm and my enthusiasm had worn out. I was tired and in no mood to try to keep Hayden entertained. Mid way through the trip Hayden became very interested in a man sitting behind me. He would giggle, laugh and coo at him. I didn’t want to bother the man so I turned and smiled at him and half apologized for bothering him. He replied “I really don’t mind. He’s such a cute kid, and I have some of my own at home.” The man kept Hayden entertained for the rest of the flight much to my relief.

When passengers were getting up a woman complimented me on how patient I was and she said that I had done so well. That meant a great deal to me since I felt so fatigued. Once again I waited till most everyone was off the plane and then exited to retrieve my other car seat and stroller. To my surprise there were many other business men waiting to get their carryon’s which still had not been brought up from under the plane. When my things finally came I tried to pull my stroller open while holding my baby. While I was trying to do that my diaper bag fell off my shoulder which sent an array of toys, diapers, and formula all over the flow.

I paused and then exhaled loudly. I felt like I could burst in to tears at any moment and die of embarrassment. But as soon as it happened a man in a business suit asked if he could hold my baby. Then another scooped up all of the things that had fallen out of my bag. Then another opened up my stroller and put Jackson in. I was in shock to say the least. They were all so kind and helped me get me on my way or at least out of the jet way.

As I was strolling out one of the men who helped me walked closely aside me and started talking to me. “Where are you from?” he said. I replied “I’m from Utah. This is my first time here in Pittsburgh.” He said “Well let me show you how to get to baggage claim. This airport can be a little confusing.” As we walked we traded information about ourselves. He helped me on the subway that took us to baggage claim. He rode with me in the elevator while everyone else took the escalator. He asked me which bags were mine and then pulled them off the conveyor for me.

After all of this he offered me his cell phone so that I could call my sister in law to see where she was. “Don’t you have a bag to get?” I said. “No I travel light,” he replied pointing to his briefcase and rolling carry on. When it was time to say goodbye I turned to him and said “You know I told my husband to pray that someone would help me, and you have answered both of our prayers. Thank you so much.” With that I gave him a giant hug with tears filling my eyes. He turned a little pink and said “my wife has 2 children and I know she had to do the same thing with them when I was working. It was my pleasure.” We said goodbye and then my sister in law walked in to get me.

I think that I could go on for another page or two about my experiences on the way home and on our trip to my in laws for Thanksgiving. All I will say is that everywhere I went God put people in place to help me along the way. It restored something in me that said that there really are good people in the world. Most of the people who helped me were men which I found extremely surprising. I have been filled with gratitude for the wonderful people who are in the world and for the small differences and impacts they have made in my life. Whenever possible we have tried to pay if forward to another in need because that’s what this life is all about.

So while your traveling and worrying about your own holiday plans, keep an open mind and an open heart so that you may serve someone just as deservingly as I was.


2 comments:

  1. This post made me cry! I only had Z and Lance was there to help, but I was super overwhelmed about flying with a baby! Thank heaven for those kind people who help out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Estamos de acuerdo que volar con niños sea muy difícil. En hecho, es casí demasiado difícil solo, y mañana tendré que volar solo de Puerto Vallarta a Salt Lake City. Gracias por recordarme a ayudar a otros, mañana y siempre. Recuérdate que Judy y yo queremos mucha a ti. También pensamos en ti como nuestra hija. Tu escribes muy, muy bien y estamos agradecidos por los 12 días Navideña. Feliz Navidad y un prospero año nuevo. Un abrazo para todos.

    ReplyDelete