Friday, December 24, 2010

On The Eleventh Day of Christmas my true love gave to me 11 presents for each child

When I was only 7 years old we lived in a small condo in California. My siblings and I occupied the master bedroom and my parents took a smaller bedroom off to the side of it. We were in a small space but we were all happy, healthy, and excited for the upcoming Christmas. We had a friend named Rosie who was the cool relative that wasn't related. She would come and bring us treats, take us out to eat, and buy us things. We were spoiled by her! She wasn't married at the time so she had lots of time for us.

The night before Christmas we were all getting excited and we couldn't wait to have Santa come. My mother told us that Rosie would be spending Christmas with us since she didn't have anyone to be with for the holidays. So Rosie came over and we were all terribly hyper jumping all over her. I wondered what she would give me for Christmas since she always knew exactly what I liked. We gave her hugs and then went off to bed anxious for morning to come.

The next morning we awoke and went downstairs. On each chair there was a GIANT plastic holiday garbage bag that looked like a chimney on the outside. It was tide at the top and on each bag there was a name. We ran to our bags and frantically ripped them open. There was a giant stack of presents for each of us, eleven if I remember right. We jumped up and down with excitement. My parents had their own sacks to filled with goodies.

Dress up clothes, Barbie's, Barbie's kitchen, a red dress, and much much more. I got things I never asked for nor dreamed I would receive. I was so excited and jumped wildly at the sight. Out of the corner of my eye I could see Rosie smiling widely as we would bring up every present and proudly show her what we had gotten from Santa.

After we were done I briefly wondered why Rosie had not given me a present for Christmas. Little did I know that Rosie had purchased all of the presents in those Santa sacks. She had given us much more than material stuff. She served us and has been a great example to me of selfless charity. Even though we've lost touch with her I hope someday to thank her for what she did for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment