Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Hello? Its Me!!

I was one of those. You know when you hear about someone else losing their job and you say “Oh that’s sad,” but you never think it will happen to you? For months I would tell people that the economy really hadn’t affected us. I was even so bold as to tell a taxi driver in Michigan who was working two jobs to pay his mortgage that Utah hadn’t really been hit as hard as everywhere else. I guess that’s when God decided to teach us a lesson.

Hi, my name is Kattie Mount and my husband is unemployed. Is that some sort of tagline? It seems to be everyone’s update status these days. My husband lost his job last April and has been unemployed ever since. Too bad an insurance company doesn’t count this as a life change because it sure feels like one.   We are going through this crisis wondering where to go from here because the fact of the matter is that Allan is a BYU Econ grad that can’t get a job. I guess I should feel lucky that it happened now and not in 10 or 15 years from now where a lot more experienced workers are also out of work wondering the same thing. They have big families, big homes, and big time debt.

So what’s a girl got to do when her husband can’t work? She becomes the sugar mama. Oh but not me. I don’t make that much - not even close. I loathe it. Not the money but the job description. If you’ve decided to stop reading at this point just hold on! I know now you’re thinking about not wanting to hear about a depressed 20 something and her woes because don’t we all have them?

You notice that the name of my blog is blessings from a recession. The whole reason I started this blog was because of a note I received just a week ago. I was extremely touched by it and it caused me to think of all the many wonderful blessings our family has received during a very difficult time in our lives. This note is one of countless notes/cards/emails of encouragement we’ve received from family, friends, and yes even strangers. So it is my hope that you find a little bit of happy in your day when you read this blog. Its purpose is to give thanks to those who have given so much to us. An attitude of gratitude of some sorts that I can share in blog form.

Before I share the note I would like to give you a few background details. Over Labor Day of this year I found out at 11 weeks that I had miscarried what would have been baby #3. If any of you have been through that you will truly know how hard it is. I thought I knew but once again the Lord knew I didn’t. I take back any thoughts I’ve ever had of “she was only 7 weeks along,” or “it’s such a common thing,” because none of these things make it any better. The fact is that as soon as you find out your having a baby you start planning. You look at baby and maternity clothes. You think of names and print off paperwork for your leave of absence. Women were born to mother because they think of every last detail before a baby ever arrives.
So knowing that here is the note that I received from Allan’s Aunt Georgia who is herself dealing with breast cancer and whom I’ve only seen three or so times.

Dear Allan and Kattie,

Jim told me that Kattie had a miscarriage. I’m so sorry and I know that is always a great sadness for family. I’m sure you have some medical expenses and I understand that Allan is still out of work. We love you kids and hope for the best in the future. Here is a small amount of money to help toward your expenses during this difficult time.

Love, Aunt Georgia & Uncle Gene”

Just like that I turned in to a sobbing fool. A small amount of money equaled $200 to them but meant so much more to us.

My goal is to tell all of you the many experiences we’ve had over the past 6 months of really living in the thick of all of this. It’s what’s kept us alive in spirit and in physical body. Please feel free to email me with your stories so that I can post them along with mine. I want to hear what you’re grateful for and how this recession has also blessed your lives. Sharing these priceless moments encourage and uplift us all.

Love to you all, Kattie

15 comments:

  1. Kattie,
    I am so sorry...about Allan loosing his job, but especially about the miscarriage. That is such a hard thing to go through. I had a miscarriage with my first pregnancy (I was 10 Weeks) and I was so surprised how emotional and sad of an experience it was. I know exactly what you mean when you say that you start planning from day one and you already feel like the baby is a part of the family. I really am so sorry that you had to go through that. It seems like you have had a very difficult few months and I am amazed at your positive attitude and understanding. I always try to remember that if we are doing everything we can, Heavenly Father will take care of the rest. I love you guys and am so sorry that I have not been there for you, like you were always there for me. Let us know if there is anything that we can do to help. We really do need to get together...I miss you!
    Love,
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kattie,

    I am sorry to hear that you guys are going through a rough time. You are such an amazing person and I hope for the best for you. I look forward to reading your positive spin on a difficult situation.

    Your story of the check reminded me of a time several years back when Gabe and I were living in New York and our car broke down. We were incredibly poor and had no money to fix the car. We didn't tell any family about the incident and were surprised when Gabe's grandmother sent us a belated birthday check for the exact amount we needed for repair. What a blessing! The Lord really does answer our needs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kattie- What a great idea for a blog :) Thanks so much for sharing this! I admire you for staying positive through the tough times. I often slip right into the negative--reading this will help. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kattie, We love you. You are a huge inspiration to me. Thank you for creating this blog. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kattie,

    What a great blog! You have inspired me to catch up on mine! The thoughts you expressed about a miscarriage were the very same I had when it happened to me. I am sorry you have had to experience such a loss. Aren't Gene and Georgia the best? They are so very thoughtful/generous and selfless, as you know they are experiencing their own real trials. I just love them and am so happy they made your day!
    We think of and pray for your family and are certain you will have answers to all of your prayers and continue to live a life that is richly blessed!
    Love,
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kattie and Allan - I love your attitude! It is our "Faith, Hope, and Charity" as the scriptures say combined with attitude, that makes life so much easier. My sister Georgia is a very sweet person with a great attitude and so charitable."

    I love what Charles Swindall said about ATTITUDE:

    "The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life. Attitude, to me, is more important than facts. It is more important than the past, than education, than money, than circumstances, than failures,than successes, than what other people think or say or do. It is more important than appearance, giftedness, or skill. It will make or break a company...a church...a home. The remarkable thing is we have a choice every day regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day. We cannot change our past...we cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude... I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it. And so it is with you...we are in charge of our Attitudes."

    Love and pray for the Allan & Kattie Mount Family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love you guys! This is a great blog, and even looking at the wallpaper choice cheers me up.

    I'm excited to read on. Being self employed has all the job security in the world, while having zero job security at the same time. It's been interesting, and I'm also glad that the last couple years have come at this time in my life rather than in our 40's or 50's.

    Wade

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kattie, I'm so, so sorry to hear about the miscarriage. We love you guys!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kattie,
    Keep writing! Your positive energy has a big effect on so many. Here's hoping better days are just around the corner . . . Love and hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kattie,
    Thank you for sharing your thoughts and experience. I look up to you and T all the time for the type of mother/wife I wish to be!

    ReplyDelete
  11. this blog is such a great idea. Our income is up and down and so inconsistent. I have had things like this happen to me and it is such a blessing. One day I took my kids to the free movie in the summer and they really wanted popcorn. It was $5 for popcorn and a drink, I could handle 5 bucks for my kids sake. Well I forgot my wallet! I was searching my purse and then told the lady "sorry, never mind" and then she told me to just take it. 5 bucks was a big deal to us at the time and I was so grateful to her she probably thought I was weird.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kattie, you are such an awesome girl and I just love you! This blog is a great idea and I look forward to reading more of your stories. I'm so sorry for your loss... I had a miscarriage or sorts (I had a molar pregnancy. If you don't know what that is, I'll tell you later if you want) and I know how hard it is to lose a baby. I hope you know how many people love and support you! You're never alone! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Kattie, I'm really sorry to hear about your miscarriage. I can only imagine how difficult that would be. You and Allan are great examples of selfless, serving people and I know it will come full circle. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dear Kattie,
    Thank you for starting this blog. Being able to see the good things in life when everything seems to be going wrong is a difficult thing sometimes. My husband graduated from college in May of 2009. He had attended school for 7 years (he changed his major and we had a very difficult pregnancy that made things take longer) and we were expecting our fourth baby when he was finished. We were very blessed to find a seasonal position (six months out of the year) with the federal government, but it can still be very hard emotionally when you are so ready to move on with life. This is his second summer working with them and there is no guarantee that he will be rehired next year. We are able to meet our bills and even get a little into savings, but we are living in a tiny two bedroom house. All four kids are in one room and we have way too much stuff! :)
    One day while I was feeling very down, I prayed and prayed all day. After several hours I had the thought come to me, "You need to enjoy this time because it won't last forever."
    I sat and thought for a while, there really aren't many things that are going well, but I thought of my children. I thought about how someday we'll be in a big house, and they will be older, and I'll look back on this time and long for it. We are all together all day long, crammed into this little place, but we are together. We know each other so well. We mess up together and we clean up together. We love each other and help each other. We can hear almost everything that goes on in the house! Someday they will be big and I'll hardly see them and I will long for these days.
    I also thought of the friends that I've made in this ward that we live in. Someday we will be gone and won't be able to see them very much. I have truly made some deep friendships and, even though it seems like the best thing in the world right now, I will be sad when we leave this place.
    I, too, and grateful that this has happened now instead of a few years down the road. I'm SO glad that we didn't get a job and buy a house and then get laid off. It is a common occurrence right now and I feel very sorry for people who are in that situation.
    I have started doing some ancestral research and can't believe the hardships that they went through. It has really opened my eyes and I encourage anyone who is going through a hard time to learn about their family history. Even in the place that I am in right now is far better than what many of my forefathers went through.
    I know that the Lord is looking out for all of us and that He loves us. What a wonderful blessing that knowledge is!
    I am truly sorry for you and what you are going through. I have also had miscarriages. It has been several years now, but when I think back on that I can remember how difficult it was. I am grateful for it, though, because I know what it feels like and can understand the feelings that women have.
    I pray that you will be blessed soon with another pregnancy, that really provides the fullest healing.
    Good luck with everything and I pray that we can make it through this time!
    Sally

    ReplyDelete